Environment & hospitality
In the vicinity of the bungalow park there are several excellent places to go to enjoy a nice evening out.
The Italian kitchen
Italy is the birthplace of European cookery. Since Roman times, Italy has been the Mecca for gourmands. What can be found in all regional kitchens is the preference for seafood, for pasta (often served in incredible amounts as an intermediate dish) and the multitude of herbs and olive oil.
In general, more butter than olive oil is used in northern Italy. Valtellina is a large butter producer.
Parmesan cheese is also important: in grated form it is serviced with every Italian meal, and used for both soup and pasta. With regard to meat, there is a preference for veal among Italians.
We owe the “ravioli” (stuffed pasta) to the sailors from Genova. The region offers the polenta, a well-filling corn puree that is served with meat ragout or stewed meat. The pizza, on the other hand, is a distinctly Neapolitan specialty and available in many varieties. Solid ingredients are tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.
Well-known desserts are “Tiramisu” (layers of cake, coffee cream and cocoa), “Zabaglione” (warm foamy egg custard with marsala wine) and of course the many types of ice cream (gelato), which tastes better here than anywhere else on vacation in Italy.
Typical for the region around Gera Lario and the Valtellina is “Pizzoccheri”, a tagliatella dish of wholemeal pasta mixed with vegetables, cheese, potatoes and meat. Literally and figuratively really powerful food!
There are different names for restaurants in Italy. Depending on what you are looking for exactly, the following global layout can help you make a good choice:
- Bar – in addition to drinks, you can often also eat small snacks such as brioche (a kind of croissant) or a panini (sandwich).
- Pizzeria – specializes in all kinds of pizzas and you can often also order many other dishes such as pasta, meat or fish.
- Osteria – often looks a bit like an inn because one can also spend the night there. Simple Italian dishes with a small wine list. Informal environment.
- Trattoria – often less chic and formal than a “Ristorante” but slightly more formal than an Osteria. Often as a specialty local and regional dishes. Cheaper menu than in a Ristorante with a more nonchalant service. Perfect opportunity for families. Trattorias are often also run by families and can be found a lot in the smaller villages and towns.
- Ristorante – a restaurant in an elegant setting, more chic and formal than “Trattoria”. Often the prizes won are on the wall for the quality of the food, the service and the atmosphere. Well-trained host or hostess who knows a lot about food and wines.
Suggestions of great places to eat:
- Ristorante “Le 5 (cinque) Case”. From Solo Mio turn left by car, near the village border with Domaso. Also suitable for large groups. Nice covered terrace on the lake; mooring possibility for boats. Closed on Wednesday. Tel .: 0344/84119
- Ristorante “Boschetto”. Drive through the built-up area of Sorico; follow the sign for “la Grande quiete” over the bridge. Quietly located in a wooded area, you can also sit outside. Both Italian traditional cuisine and pizzas. Fish specialty and meat from the grill. (Large portions). Closed on Mondays. Tel .: 0344/84205
- Ristorante “Breva” (1 km) (pizzeria). From the park turn left, immediately before the bridge sharply to the right, follow the road towards Montemezzo, after about 1 km on the right. The parking lot has a firm slope! From the terrace a beautiful view over the park and the lake.
- Ristorante / pizzeria “Lario”. On a walking distance from the park, next to the Post Office. Lario offers pizza’s, pasta’s, fish and meat. Tables on the terrace as well as inside. Lario also offers take away pizza and pasta. Tel.: 0344 84686.
- Pizzeria “Spluga”. On a walking distance from the park. Turn right from Sole Mio. After about ½ km it is on the left of the road. Also take away. Tel .: 0344 84124.
- Ristorante “Del Mera” (Sorico/Dascio – 2 kilometers). Turn right from Sole Mio and turn left just before the bridge over the Mera and drive directly along the Mera, after about 1 km you will see the restaurant. Along the river they have a terrace. Specialties: fish and local dishes. Tel .: 0344 84147.
- Ristorante Biffi. On a walking distance from the park. Biffie offers pizza’s, pasta’s, fish and meat. Biffi can be reached by taking the walking lane at the lakeside and go left. At the end of the walking lane, go left (towards tennis court) and directly after tennis court right. After 100 meters left towards the church of Sorico. On the market square you will find Biffi. Tel.: 0344 84529.
- Ristorante Dei Pescatori (2 km). Just before the village of Domaso in a sharp turn. Terrace on the water and close to the road. Fish and local dishes. Tel .: 0344 83363.
- Pizzeria Mimmo’s. Via Antica Regina 32 bis. Located at Lake Como. Tel.: 0344 040722.
- Ristorante Da Lui, Via Regina 63. Located at the port of Domaso. Mediterranean food.
- Agriturismo Sorsasso, Via Gaggio 1/Bis. Sorsasso is both an Italian winery as well as a agriturismo. Enjoy good food and local wines. Tel.: 0344 910022.
- Ajo Drink & Food – Domaso
Here you can enjoy beautiful sandwiches of hamburgers, cocktails and antipasti (cold cuts and cheeses). Located directly on the lake. Tel.: 0346 366 8188.
- Locanda Castello-Gaggia
After entering Domaso follow the signs “Gaggia” (pay attention!). After a winding road you reach this hamlet in the mountains. Very romantic, very old. Beautiful view over Lake Como from the terrace under the vines.
- Ca de Matt (6 km). A fantastic card! Near the church and the villa on the water, there are various directional signs. You can eat there on 3 levels: in the basement, the ground floor and outside on a cozy enclosed terrace. Ask what kind of specialty they have that day!
- Il Giardinetto (7 km). Immediately after the town of Gravedona turn right as far as the church. (You can park behind the church or on the square in front of the church) Follow the road up on foot and after about 100 meters you will see the entrance on the left.
- Saltamartin. Just after the town of Gravedona; turn right a little up (indicated). Somewhat chic restaurant with a beautiful terrace, from where you have a beautiful view over the villages and Lake Como. Fine Italian cuisine and select wines.
- Pizzeria il Faro.
- Ristorante “dai Goggia”. Drive through the village center of Colico until the roundabout. At the roundabout, take the third exit. An old Italian farmhouse has been converted into a restaurant. In good weather people eat under the plane trees in the yard. Affordably priced.
- Ristorante dai Goggia.
- Ristorante “Il Vapore”(hotel Risi). Via Lungolario Polti 1. This is the restaurant where locals eat. Both on pizza and pasta and on fish and meat good choices. Hotel and Restaurant are located directly at the lake. Tel.: 0341 933089
“Vecchia Varenna” (20 km). Very picturesque Italian specialty restaurant. Highly recommended. Terrace by the lake. Very original. Less suitable for children, because people dine throughout the evening. Reservations urgently required. The manager can discuss by telephone.
“Il caminetto” (20 km). Just before Varenna turn right a few hundred meters up the mountain via a fairly narrow winding road. You will be rewarded with a truly excellent menu of regional dishes, all home-made and farm fresh. The antipastos and primos already cover many species. Not suitable for the little eater.
“Al Cenacolo” (25 km). In the antique center of Chiavenna. Has a real Michelin star. Take the “typico” menu, a selection of Valtellina specialties with delicious ice cream. Certainly not expensive considering the quality and the ambiance.
Always check the opening times, as the restaurants are not always open every day of the week and all year round!